You need a computer or laptop with these recommended specifications to install Ubuntu 11.10 Desktop Edition.
- 1 GHz CPU (Central Proccessing Unit)
- 1 GB RAM (Random Access Memory)
- 15 GB of hard drive space
- 800 x 600 monitor video card screen resolution
- CD drive or a USB port for the liveCD or LiveUSB Drive
- Internet access is needed to install third party programs from Ubuntu Software Center, and Updates from Ubuntu Software Center.https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements
You can install on a slightly slower computer with 384MB of RAM, 5GB hard drive, and 1 GHZ CPU, but Ubuntu might not run as fast as you want it to run.
For any computer which is slower then the system requirements, I recommend Xubuntu, and Lubuntu which are designed for slower and older computer. Puppy Linux and Tiny Core Linux also are a good Linux based Ubuntu Alternative Operating Systems for computers which are slower and older, and don’t meet the minimum system requirements for Ubuntu Linux 11.10.
If you just want to buy a computer which comes pre-installed with Ubuntu, I recommend System76.com since they been making Ubuntu Linux computers, and laptops since 2005, and they used high quality computer parts which are gauranteed to work with Ubuntu Linux 11.10.
Note: I’m not affiliated with System76, but want to buy one of their computers in the future since their PCs look great.